[pts] PTS3 Iveland Development Update

Michael Larabel Michael at phoronix.com
Sun Oct 31 11:32:08 CDT 2010

For those interested in the development activity of Phoronix Test Suite
3.0 "Iveland", here's an update as to the progress with a few notes.

- I'm nearing the end of the first stage of Iveland's development. Most
of the underlying pts-core changes needed to support the intended
features of Phoronix Test Suite 3.0 (and a few plans for later on in the
PTS3 cycle) are now in place. As of right now this is about a 20,200
line patch compared to Phoronix Test Suite 2.8.1. This should settle
within a week or two and then I'll likely tag the first PTS 3.0 Alpha
build (mid-November) before moving onto the second stage, which will be
the start of the work on OpenBenchmarking.org integration.

- With few exceptions, every supported Phoronix Test Suite 3.0 feature
from PTS2 should now be at the same level of support as found with PTS
2.8.1 [as many options/commands required slight modifications along the
way to make them compatible with Iveland's pts-core changes], but better
in many cases with a few options receiving bug-fixes and other minor
enhancements. The exception to this, however, is the GTK2 GUI.

- With the GTK2 GUI, unless I happen to be ahead of schedule with
everything else, Phoronix Test Suite 3.0 will likely ship without the
GTK2 GUI. As the GUI happens to touch many parts of pts-core that are
changing with Iveland, most of the mid-level GUI code needs to be
updated as there are many internal API breaks. So unless I happen to
find a lot of extra time prior to the Phoronix Test Suite 3.0 release,
the GUI will not return until Phoronix Test Suite 3.2. However, seeing
as most professional users utilize the command-line interface or take
advantage of the Phoromatic web-interface, this shouldn't be much of a
problem. When it comes to making the GUI PTS3-compatible, it will also
be evaluated whether to rewrite the interface in another tool-kit or the
best approach to utilize since many have been having problems setting up
PHP-GTK and upstream the project seems to be about dead.

- The final release of Phoronix Test Suite 3.0 "Iveland" is still
targeted for release in Q1'2011. A Phoronix Test Suite 2.8.2 release
will still likely be released this quarter that just carries a couple
fixes worthy of back-porting to Torsken.

- By default on new installations, even if the PHP-GD library is
installed, pts_Graph / bilde_renderer will default to using the SVG
back-end for rendering of graphs rather than PNG. SVG will really be the
focus going forward to provide feature-rich graphs compatible with as
many browsers and platforms as possible. If you want to, however, use
the PNG/JPG/SWF renderers, you can continue to do so by modifying the
Renderer tag within ~/.phoronix-test-suite/graph-config.xml. There's
also some other options added to graph-config.xml as well for switching
between horizontal and vertical bar graphs and then the usual options
for changing a graph's color scheme, etc.

- While most of the Iveland Alpha 1 work is all internal changes, there
are a few user-visible changes such as with the new graphing
capabilities (see
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODcwNw) and then
shortly the OpenBenchmarking.org integration (see
http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=15360). There's also smarter, more
reliable external dependency management.

- With the first alpha release (and potentially the second alpha release
too) the test profiles and suites are continuing to live within the
phoronix-test-suite package but will be pulled out around December when
the OpenBenchmarking.org integration is complete.

I'll have a more formal update on Phoronix Test Suite 3.0 with some of
the other planned features shortly. I'll also be back in San Diego,
California from 4 November to 9 November if there are any other
individuals, companies, or universities interested in learning more
about the Phoronix Test Suite or anything else, just contact me.

Michael Larabel